The CSU Women’s Water Polo Club competes in the Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA) year round. During the spring semester, the women’s team competes in the Rocky Mountain division. Additionally, during the fall semester they are welcome to join the men’s team in competition, or use the off season as an opportunity to condition and bond with the team before their season in the spring. The women’s team recently branched out of the Men’s Water Polo Club at CSU due to an incredible influx in women interested in playing water polo. This provided the perfect opportunity for women to not only compete in a co-ed team if they choose, but to also play in a Women’s League at the highest standard. The spring 2022 season was the first time we had a competitive travel team, and won the Rocky Mountain Division Championships with a perfect record! This victorious win then led us to our first year as CSU’s official women’s water polo team to compete at Nationals!
There are typically four league tournaments during the spring season, each taking place over the span of a weekend. We play schools from Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming. This gives us the amazing opportunity for some in and out of state travel during the season. Additionally, during the fall season the women’s team has the opportunity and is encouraged to play in the men’s tournaments as it is considered a COED division.
We welcome any and all levels of experience to practice with the team. Our team members have varying levels of experience, from those who have never played the sport before, to those who have competed internationally. Coaches and more experienced team members are always willing to help the less experienced players in order to enhance their skills, and adopt a love for the game. We are looking to continue to build a team that is close-knit and both physically and mentally strong. With continued growth we can achieve our goal of bringing the culture of water polo back to CSU, and build a dynasty that competes for championships every year.
Meredith McKeown (Head Coach)
Our Coach, Meredith McKeown, has been with us since 2020, and we love the energy and insight she brings to our players.
Meredith started playing water polo at age 9 in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and quickly fell in love with the sport as a swimmer. She grew up traveling to ODP and JO tournaments/ training camps around the country and played in College at Michigan State University. During her 4 years at MSU, the team consistently placed in the top 3 in the Big Ten and she earned spots on the All-Conference team (all years) and All-American team (two years). She led the team as a captain her senior year and assisted with coaching the “B” team. Meredith has gathered strategies over the years from the many unique coaches she has had the opportunity to play with and brings a passion for college club water polo.
- Info Session: Contact Club directly
- President: Makela Riordan
- Dues:$200 per semester if traveling and attending tournaments$150 per semester if not traveling or attending to tournaments*Subject to change each semester, reach out to us via email to get most recent quote*
- Main Season: No main season, travel year round
- Mondays (7-9pm Glenn Morris/South College Pool), Wednesdays (7-9pm Moby Pool), Thursdays (9-11pm), with the potential of optional/supplemental Sunday afternoon/evening practices.
- However, every semester can differ in practice schedules, and it has been known to change halfway through each semester as well, so please be sure to reach out to us via email before the semester starts to get our up-to-date schedule.
- League: Collegiate Water Polo Association