Outdoor Gear Rental
Outdoor Gear Rental is only available to current Rec Center Members who have a valid membership. The membership must be valid for the term of the rental pass.
Outdoor gear rentals are available for check-out and check-in at the Outdoor Resource Room located in the lobby. You can also checks out maps and guidebooks free of charge!
Please visit the Service Center to purchase either of the following Outdoor Gear Rental memberships:
- a $10 thirty-day rental pass -or-
- a $25 ninety-day rental pass
Members in this program can check-out available items as long as their normal Student Recreation Center and Outdoor Gear Rental memberships remain current.
Outdoor Gear Rental Hours
The Outdoor Gear Rental desk will be closed Monday January 16 in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. All rentals will be due Tuesday January 17.
The Outdoor Resource Room (located in the Rec Center lobby) serves as the check-in and check-out location for all Outdoor Gear Rentals. Hours of operation for the Outdoor Resource Room are:
- Monday - Friday 4:00 - 7:00 pm
- Closed Saturday & Sunday
Throughout the fall semester, additional items will be added to the rental inventory such as ice axes, hammocks, and more. Gear will be checked out with a custom fitting, set-up instructions and guidance, and expert advice from experienced outdoor enthusiasts!
Rules and restrictions:
- Renters must have a valid Campus Recreation membership
- Renters must have a valid Outdoor Gear Rental membership
- Outdoor Gear Rental memberships are non-refundable whether the equipment is used or not. Please make sure to call (970-491-1669) to ensure they have the equipment you need prior to purchasing your pass.
- The renter assumes sole liability for any injuries or damages received while using the equipment. Any claim about the unsuitability of the rented equipment is limited solely to the refund of the rental pass.
- Members are allowed to check-out multiple items at one time, but are limited to one per type. Note: Tents are considered one type of equipment no matter the capacity of the tent.
- There is a 5-day maximum rental per item (starting the day you check it out). 11 day maximum rentals go in effect during break and summer hours.
- All items must be returned by the due date to avoid a late fee of $5/item/day. Once the equipment is more than 7 days late, the renter will be charged the full replacement value of the equipment.
- The renter is responsible for the full replacement cost of lost, stolen, or damaged equipment. The equipment is accepted by the renter "as is"; the renter has the responsibility to examine the equipment prior to accepting it. If the equipment is returned soiled or dirty, the renter will be assessed a minimum $5 cleaning fee.
- Late fees, replacement costs, and the cleaning fees are subject to billing through CSU Accounts Receivable and are subject to regulations concerning overdue accounts.
- Failure to pay late fees, replacement fees, and cleaning fees once notified will result in an inability to access or use Campus Recreation facilities, services, and programs. Once payment has been received, access will be reinstated.
- Advanced reservations are not available. All rentals will be handled on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Members are allowed to purchase multiple 30-day passes throughout the year and up to 2 concurrent memberships.
The following outdoor items are available for rent:
CSU Campus Recreation does not provide technical training for avalanche gear. We strongly recommend you receive formal training from a certified agency, before traveling in backcountry terrain.
The American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education offers multiple courses throughout the winter in various parts of Colorado. Note: We will provide this information as a service to the renters on a case-by-case basis.
We also recommend to always check out the weather and avalanche forecast for the region you will be traveling to. The Colorado Avalanche Information Center has detailed information, forecasts, and maps to help keep you safe in the backcountry.