The Outdoor Gear Rental desk in the Student Recreation Center offers a variety of commonly used outdoor recreation gear such as sleeping bags, tents, backpacks, and much more. For a detailed equipment list, simply scroll down on this page. Our low-cost Outdoor Gear Rental Pass allows Campus Recreation members to borrow equipment for 5-days at time for one low fee. You can also check out maps and guidebooks free of charge!
Please visit the Service Center to purchase either of the following Outdoor Gear Rental memberships:
- a $10 thirty-day rental pass -or-
- a $25 ninety-day rental pass
Members in this program can check-out available items as long as their normal Student Recreation Center and Outdoor Gear Rental memberships remain current.
Outdoor Gear Rental Desk Closed from March 14-22, 2020.
Special Spring Break Extended Rental Period
The Outdoor Gear Rental desk is offering expending loan periods for Spring Break. Items checked-out on March 11, 12, 13 due back on March 24.
Fall/Spring Semester Hours:
- Monday – Friday 3:00 – 7:00 pm
- Closed Saturday & Sunday
Throughout the fall and spring semester, additional items will be added to the rental inventory such as ice axes, hammocks, and more. Gear will be checked out with a custom fitting, set-up instructions and guidance, and expert advice from experienced outdoor enthusiasts!
BACKPACKING & CAMPING
- Backpacks-Osprey Escalante 70+ liters
- Synthetic Sleeping Bags (0o rating)
- Ridgerest Sleeping Pads
- 2 and 4-Person Tents (Kelty & Big Agnes)
- Bear Proof Canister
- Peregrine Refuge Hammocks
- Black Diamond Astro Headlamp
WINTER & AVALANCHE
- Pieps DSP Sport Avalanche Beacon
- Black Diamond Avalanche Shovel
- Black Diamond Avalanche Probes
- MSR Evo Snowshoes
- Black Diamond Trekking Poles
- Kahtoola Micro-spikes
MOUNTAINEERING & CLIMBING
- Black Diamond Serac Crampons (strap-on)
- Black Diamond Raven Ice Axes
- Evolv Rock Climbing Shoes (sizes 5-14)
- Crash Pads-assorted types
- Rock Climbing Helmets – Black Diamond Half Dome
- Backpack – Osprey Kestrel 28 Liter
CSU Campus Recreation does not provide technical training for avalanche gear. We strongly recommend you receive formal training from a certified agency, before traveling in backcountry terrain.
The American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education offers multiple courses throughout the winter in various parts of Colorado. Note: We will provide this information as a service to the renters on a case-by-case basis.
We also recommend to always check out the weather and avalanche forecast for the region you will be traveling to. The Colorado Avalanche Information Center has detailed information, forecasts, and maps to help keep you safe in the backcountry.
- Renters must have a valid Campus Recreation membership
- Renters must have a valid Outdoor Gear Rental membership
- Outdoor Gear Rental memberships are non-refundable whether the equipment is used or not. Please make sure to call (970-491-1669) to ensure they have the equipment you need prior to purchasing your pass.
- The renter assumes sole liability for any injuries or damages received while using the equipment. Any claim about the unsuitability of the rented equipment is limited solely to the refund of the rental pass.
- Members are allowed to check-out multiple items at one time, but are limited to one per type. Note: Tents are considered one type of equipment no matter the capacity of the tent.
- There is a 5-day maximum rental per item (starting the day you check it out). Gear rental maximums shift in the summer and are posted here and on summer policy signs in May of each year.
- All items must be returned by the due date to avoid a late fee of $5/item/day. Once the equipment is more than 7 days late, the renter will be charged the full replacement value of the equipment.
- The renter is responsible for the full replacement cost of lost, stolen, or damaged equipment. The equipment is accepted by the renter “as is”; the renter has the responsibility to examine the equipment prior to accepting it. If the equipment is returned soiled or dirty, the renter will be assessed a minimum $5 cleaning fee.
- Late fees, replacement costs, and the cleaning fees are subject to billing through CSU Accounts Receivable and are subject to regulations concerning overdue accounts.
- Failure to pay late fees, replacement fees, and cleaning fees once notified will result in an inability to access or use Campus Recreation facilities, services, and programs. Once payment has been received, access will be reinstated.
- Advanced reservations are not available. All rentals will be handled on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Members are allowed to purchase multiple 30-day passes throughout the year and up to 2 concurrent memberships.