With a campus of over 28,000 CSU Rams, the Rec offers a place for students to stay active during the school year, explore new activities, and relax and unwind. With its high-quality machinery, a large selection of fitness classes and newly renovated architecture, the Rec is easily one of the most beloved buildings on campus (#BPOC). But did you know these 10 random facts?
- The Rec has over 250 stations of workout machinery (trust me, we counted) within its 200,000 square feet of activity space. From ellipticals to free weight stations, you can make your workout exactly how you want, and have enough space to meet your fitness goals!
- Did you know we offer Intramural leagues for XBOX? You name it, and we probably have it. The Rec offers over 40 different IM sports throughout the year, and over 36 thousand students participate annually. This summer, all IM memberships are free, just don’t forget to sign up to register! Get your friends together and try out sand volleyball, flag football, and more. 🏐🏈⚽
3. CSU sports clubs are a staple of the Rec’s athletic programs and cater to all sorts of student-athletes, from ice hockey to water polo. Fundraising is a crucial part of the 29 student-managed teams, which compete throughout the state and on a national level. The clubs have collectively completed a total of 1,983 hours of community service! Woohoo! 🎉
4. CSU campus is widely recognized for its sustainable building designs, and the Rec is no exception. This building has the largest solar panel installation on campus, which promotes efficient and sustainable energy usage. The Rec is LEED certified gold which recognizes its eco-friendly impact. The Rec is proudly one of the most sustainable buildings on campus! 💡
5. Make sure to look up next time you walk through the lobby, and you might notice eight flying figures that slightly resemble airplanes — they’re actually geese! This artwork that lines the ceiling in the lobby and into the first walkway are textured with world maps, which represent the many locations that CSU students are from. Keep soaring, Rams! 🦅
6. Big news — the Rec is one of the first of its kind to host a podcast! Rec Ramble launched this past spring semester and is hosted by Rec staff Max Peterson and Sara Baheta. The purpose of the podcast is to discuss important issues about fitness culture such as body positivity and gym-timidation in hopes of starting important conversations. Rec Ramble is available on Spotify, Anchor, Google Podcasts, and many other streaming services. Make sure to tune in to the most recent episode, and tweet @CSUREC what you want to hear next. 🎙️
7. The CSU Rec is one of the largest student employers on campus and wouldn’t be able to function without its 350+ student employees. Working at Campus Rec is the perfect opportunity for an on-campus job that is easy to transport to during a busy semester. The Rec takes pride in its strong community across all departments and aims to provide a fun and inclusive work environment for everyone.
8. If you’re not thrilled about sharing personal space in the water, there’s no need to worry — the hot tub in the aquatics facility can hold up to 40 people! While you’re there, be sure to make use of the pool rock wall, lazy river, and chill out in the sauna & steam room to get the full pool experience. 🏊♂️
9. With an impressive 55 feet of linear bouldering space, the Rec’s rock wall caters to all ability levels and offers new routes weekly. The climbing wall and outdoor boulder is a beloved feature of the Rec, and is a great way to get out of your comfort zone during your workout. Seasonal events such as Harvest Hang in October and Spring Cling in April are fun opportunities to get your competitive spirit on at the climbing facility! 🧗♀️
10. There is always something exciting happening at the Rec, and every academic year nearly 20,000 students swipe in to join the fun. Free full-time membership to the facility is one of the perks of being a 6+ credit student at Colorado State. Don’t slack on getting involved with all that the Rec has to offer during your time at CSU! 🏋️♀️🧘♂️